Re: authenticated email

2003-06-04 12:36:45
Stephen Sprunk writes:
Thus spake "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
I thought I'd try this....

is there any particular disadvantage or centralization of power
implied in me signing this message with my PGP key?

If not, is there any particular reason that I shouldn't do this all the
time?

It's not a solution, but is there a downside?

Yes.  Automated responders, such as Majordomo, don't understand MIME at all,
and therefore all the nasty MIME markup confuses them.  The problem gets
even uglier when you send MIME to trouble ticket systems.

Note that the type of signature needed here is
more of a _transport_ signature, not necessarily a
body signature. Thus it need not a priori be MIME
encoded.

        Mike, though I've never noticed Majordomo
         barfing on MIME