Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-18 12:58:59
Eric Rescorla writes:
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:
similarly, people who install NAT usually don't realize how much this
costs them in lost functionality and reliability.
Really? You have evidence of this?

I don't either, but my intuition is that you're wrong.  Once you have
decided to have a firewall in place (which you may think is evil, but
I consider pretty much a necessary evil), I suspect that most people
suffer almost not at all from having a NAT.

I think Keith's point is that most people don't
realize what voodoo their box is doing until
something doesn't work. And then it just doesn't
work because it doesn't work. It's an attack of
engineering cynicism.

             Mike