Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-19 11:05:17
Michael Thomas <mat(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:

Eric Rescorla writes:
 > Michael Thomas <mat(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:
 >
 > > Eric Rescorla writes:
 > >  > What applications that people want to run--and the IT managers would
 > >  > want to enable--are actually inhibited by NAT? It seems to me that
 > >  > most of the applications inconvenienced by NAT are ones that IT
 > >  > managers would want to screen off anyway.
 > >
 > > Uh, have you paid no attention to voice? It
 > > qualifies on both counts. We get complaints from
 > > customers each and every day... the ones that are
 > > lucky enough to figure out that NAT is why their
 > > IP phone doesn't work that is.
 >
 > As I said, these would be screened off by corporate firewalls in most
 > cases anyway.

That there are also issues with firewalls is
entirely beside the point. And firewall traversal
using a VPN is a trivial and deployed solution to
the firewall traversal problem.
And you can use similar solutions to traverse NATs, albeit
with slightly similar technology.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr(_at_)rtfm(_dot_)com]
                http://www.rtfm.com/