Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-19 10:34:11
On donderdag, jun 19, 2003, at 13:49 Europe/Amsterdam, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:

Maybe NATs are, in fact, a result
of a very deep problem with our architecture.

My take is that NAT's respond to several flaws in the IPv4 architecture:

- 1) Not enough addresses - this being the one that brought them into
        existence.

Since there are 1.5 billion unallocated addresses lying around in some storage room at IANA, the IPv4 address shortage problem in itself can't be the reason for the existence of NAT. The real problem is that ISPs are unwilling to give out addresses to customers in a way that customers find acceptable and affordable.

- 1a) Local allocation of addresses - a variant of the preceeding one, but
        subtly different; NAT's do allow you to allocate more addresses
        locally without going back to a central number allocation authority,
        which is very convenient.

Right.

I think that if you look at the points I listed above, the market has clearly decided that IPv4+NAT (for all its problems, with which people are I'm sure reasonably familiar, given the many years NAT has been in service widely) is the most cost-effective solution to providing them. The IETF really needs to
sit and ponder the implications of that.

Designing a NAT architecture that doesn't have the disadvantages current NAT has wouldn't be much of a challenge. A little outside address discovery here, some dynamic server port assignment there, and we're well on our way. However, this would still require massive changes to all applications (not just the ones that don't work with NAT today) and to deployed NATs. But instant deployability is exactly what makes NAT so prevalent today. If implementing NATng is as much trouble as implementing IPv6, why bother?