RE: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-19 08:06:14
Noel,

You are getting too cerebral.  We can look at the marketing info on the box of
a NAT product to see what people think they are getting:

1) Instant Internet Sharing for cable and DSL ....
2) Firewall Security against ...  USING NAT technology.
3) Simultaneous Internet Access for up to NNN PCs
4) 4 port 10/100 switch
5) Built in print server ...

It really doesn't matter what you think wrt the firewall security of NATs.
People think they are getting additional security.   Here is a common sequence
we see: 1) person puts on a software firewall solution on their PC, 2) their
solution then continually inundates the user with warnings due to all the
scanning going on, 3) they get a NAT based on security recommendations from PC
magazines, CNET, ZD, etc., it is a trivial install of a now < $50 devicce,  4)
the warnings are significantly reduced, 5) customer feels they have done
something about their vulnerability, probably akin to installing a deadbolt
lock into a wooden door frame (sure, a crowbar will go right through it like
butter).

regards, peterf

P.S. NATng - it's time has come!