Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-19 08:21:00
certainly the users I deal with are not getting what they want.
others seem to be reporting similar experiences.

Then why don't they switch providers.

variety of reasons: often the provider is not the problem, it's the local
network admins, and the users aren't free to go elsewhere.  some of the time
when the provider is the problem, there are no alternatives.  until recently
the only way I could get even one static IP address for my home was through a
special deal with a friend of mine who had a small ISP, and the best bandwidth
I could get was 128kbps.  none of the other local providers would sell me one.

Revealed preference suggests that they *are* getting what they want, no
matter how much complaining.

so if you can't come up with a rational explanation for something, just
pretend that the market is wise and cite it as an unimpeachable authority.

Keith