Re: myth of the great transition

2003-06-19 14:30:21

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 03:27  PM, Melinda Shore wrote:

Keith, I don't get this argument. A NAPT is a firewall by your own
definition "I believe the primary purpose of firewalls should be to
protect the network, not the hosts, from abusive or unauthorized
usage." It's implementing a very simple policy, protect me from the
outside world.

NAT has problematically constrained policy capabilities.

Does that mean that a NAT is a workable firewall but introduces undesirable side effects? Is it (or could it be) possible to make an equally workable firewall, at a low price, that doesn't introduce to constrained policy capabilities?

simon