Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-19 14:21:42
Does this seem like a weird position for an IAB member to take?
I don't think so.

I think economics provides useful tools for talking about
and evaluating this stuff, too, but I think it's pretty
evident that you can optimize for anything you like and get
different results.  I question whether it's in this
organization's charter to privilege the individual user over
the good of the network.  If you choose to put yourself
behind a NAT that's possibly good for you (although I think
it's bad for you over the longer term) and always bad for
the people who want to reach you.

There certainly are cases where it's appropriate for the IETF to say
that something users want to do is not OK. Most of those cases are
ones where their behavior has negative external effects on everyone
else. I don't think a strong argument has been made that this is
such a case.

That last sentence left me speechless, for which I suppose
some number of people are now in your debt.

Melinda