Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-19 14:03:52
Eric Rescorla wrote:

(2) NAT solves at least some of those problems, at some
   cost (say Cn), both financial and operational and
   that solution has benefit Bn.

(5) It's also possible that at some time in the future
   Cn will exceed Bn, in which case I would expect people
   to stop using NAT and (probably) demand something else.
I think this is the point of contention: Keith asserts that Cn exceeds Bn if you consider long-term costs; your invocation of revealed preferences is based on the market, which tends to be short-term. Cn<Bn if all you run is client-server apps; but NAT locks you in to using just those apps, which means that Cn has a hidden component that isn't visible to most consumers.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                      |