Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-23 12:06:24
On 23/6/03 13:27, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:

The big problem is incoming connections - how do you set up the mappings they
will need? Wiretapping DNS is ugly, but it doesn't require changing anything
(for existing applications). On the other hand, if you only want to support
incoming connections for new applications, you can define them to include
some sort of MidCom-like setup.

Aren't Microsoft already "standardizing" this with their Universal Plug and
Play (UPnP) architecture?

I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I believe the concept is that
applications that understand this can communicate with the router (the NAPT
box in the case of SoHo networks) and request ports to be opened externally
and forwarded back to the host. I think Microsoft's NetMeeting conferencing
program supports this already and there are a few ADSL modem/routers that
implement it.

I agree that NAPT is here for a long time and it would be better to work
towards controlling it.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Hogg