Re: WG review: Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (l2vpn)

2003-06-25 13:52:28
Pekka,

[clipped...]

From your message, I can't tell which of those, or of any number of other
possible objections, is the basis of your objection.

BTW - all these things were already being worked on in PPVPN. Some were
even described in the charter.

Fair question, I probably should have included more text in the first
place :-).

1. Virtual Private LAN Service.  This is Internet-wise ethernet bridging
over routing protocols such as BGP, IS-IS, etc; further, this has
typically little respect for security implications which are implicit (or
even explicit) in LAN networks.

So, my main points are:

 - we must not overload routing protocols and such infrastructure (IMHO,
this seems an inevitable path the work would go towards..)

 - we must not create complexity by deploying ethernet bridging all over
the Internet.  Our work should be focused on making IP work, not
specifying Ethernet-over-IP (or worse, Ethernet-over-IP as a *service*).

The proposed charter talks about VPLS "across an IP and an MPLS-enabled
IP network". Such a network does not have to be the Internet.

Yakov.