Re: WG review: Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (l2vpn)

2003-06-23 11:02:21
At 10:26 PM -0700 6/21/03, Alex Zinin wrote:
Folks-

 Having watched this discussion, it seems a couple of data points
 might be helpful:

 1. L2VPN and L3VPN proposed WGs are part of PPVPN WG split

    Creation of L2VPN and L3VPN WG does not represent addition of new
    work to the IETF. They are created as part of the process of
    splitting the PPVPN WG to improve progress and focus it by setting
    clear directions in the charters.

 2. L2VPN work is already chartered within the IETF

    The discussion about whether this work should be chartered or not
    happened when the PPVPN WG was being created. Please see minutes
    and slides from the PPVPN BOF at IETF 49. L2VPN solutions are
    within the PPVPN charter and milestones.

 Hope this helps.

My comments about possibly moving this work to a different standards body is based on our track record with this work so far in the IETF, not a worry about new work.

Just because we chartered some work doesn't mean we shouldn't revisit the question of whether or not doing so was a good idea, particularly after we see the kind of progress that has been made and the problems that have come up under those charters.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium