Re: Response from a former IMPP Chair (Re: Last Call: A Model for Presence and Instant Messaging to Proposed Standard)

2003-07-17 03:28:33
    Date:        Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:18:57 +0200
    From:        Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>

  | However, I find the criticisms raised against the process leading to the
  | forwarding of these documents to the IESG to be very much off target.
  |
  |                Harald Alvestrand
  |                Speaking as a former chair of the IMPP group

Hmm - I know nothing whatever about the IMPP working group, nor any of
the issues raised by Dave & Marshall, but your response (this message)
makes it appear that the WG activity was all wrong.

Your characterisation of what happened revolves entirely around what
happened at WG meetings (during IETF meetings), and cites minutes of
those meetings as evidence of WG decisions.

That cannot possibly be correct.   WG decisions are supposed to be taken
on the WG mailing list, decisions at IETF meetings are close to no-ops
(though they can provide a lot of beneficial advice).

Your message should have been citing the mailing list archives for the WG
as justification of the decisions made, and lack of unresolved (serious)
objections.

kre