A modest proposal - allow the ID repository to hold xml

2003-09-02 07:59:55
The list has been a little quiet this week, so starting a flame war
seems appropriate.  Harold noted that we had not had a format flame
in some time.

I therefore have a modest proposal:

Allow the submission of an xml file meeting the requirements of RFC2629
along with the text file (and optional ps file) for an Internet Draft.

This would change the "Guidelines to Authors of Internet-Drafts"
document to add: "XML marked-up text is acceptable, but only when submitted
with a matching ASCII version.  The xml file should be in conformance
with RFC2629."

I specifically propose a MAY strength, not a SHOULD

I specifically propose that we NOT change the RFC process at this time

I am not proposing any syntax checking, or use of any specific tool,
or any html output, or anything else other than allowing xml markup
on the text if the submitter so chooses to include it.

We have had enough experience with 2629 to know that it is of some value.
I see that an interesting number of submissions appear to have been
created with xml, and the wonderful xml2rfc tool (thank you Marshall
and friends).  I merely seek to have a place where the xml files may be
found, if they exist.

The additional disk space should not be a large burdon, I would hope.

Brian