Re: Solving the right problems ...

2003-09-02 08:51:26
Vint,

vgc> If you look at the instant messaging systems, they map a private
vgc> identifier space (IM name or "handle") into IP addresses and
vgc> apparently run background heartbeat to re-assign the mapping if the
vgc> identifier in the heartbeat arrives in a packet with a different IP
vgc> address than before -

I was under the impression that they did not handle mobility nearly so
dynamically or automatically. Rather, I seem to need to log in whenever
I move. So they seem to do a login-time mapping. (On the other hand, the
login for IM is usually automatic.)

In any event, I suspect that your domain name-based suggestion is the
right one to pursue. That is, use DNS for the public, persistent name,
and have a record that points to a dynamic address-mapping registry.
(One might even think of mapping to a "presence" service...)

Somehow, dynamic DNS does not seem like such a good idea, for anything
that might change this much or this rapidly and serious host mobility.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>