Re: the VoIP Paradox

2003-09-02 12:49:53

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 02:22 PM, Scott Bradner wrote:

Perhaps, perhaps not. I live in Ontario Canada and in the recent
blackout, my phone kept working.

i.e., you did not have a ISDN or wireless phone

Yes we still have an old-fashioned no frills basic telephone in the house. I also have a portable 900 MHz digital phone (dead), a DSL connection (dead, at a minimum because the modem had no power), a laptop (which worked long enough for me not to notice the outage at first, until I went to connect to the internet, when I noticed the net was down, when I noticed my 802.11 was down, when I noticed my DSL modem was down, when I noticed the power was out ...)

To get news I dug out an old walkman the batteries were still working. Also my cell phone DID work (with Bell Mobility in Canada).

It is my impression that wireless local loop systems (WLL) for telephony include backup batteries in subscriber units as well. That might be due to either regulation or expectations or both.

simon

Scott

--
     anti-spam: do not post this address publicly
www.simonwoodside.com -- 99% Devil, 1% Angel