Re: the VoIP Paradox

2003-09-04 00:40:31

S Woodside wrote:
        [..]
There is no
attempt on the IPtel WG page to distinguish between VoIP uses on the
public internet vs. other IP networks.

Considering that their focus is, as you observed, on the naming and
routing aspect I consider this an understandable simplification. But
it is, of course, merely a simplification and not a paradox.

(You say "VoIP makes no claims to be telephony" but the SIP page
differs:

"SIP, the Session Initiation Protocol, is a signaling protocol for
Internet conferencing, telephony, presence, events notification and
instant messaging."
     http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/
)

"SIP" != "VoIP" in any way meaningful to our discussion of your "paradox".

cheers,
gja