Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your Misspelling Are Belong To Us]

2003-09-16 12:49:25
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:19:47 EDT, James M Galvin said:

But what exactly is the "screw" here?

Verisign was (as far as I knew) given *stewardship* of the .com and .net zones
as a public trust.  I don't see anywhere they were given the right to use their
stewardship to try to make money selling typo eyeballs.  (And note that unless
you do something *really* ugly like round-robin the wildcards, only one
organization can do this per TLD - so they're essentially abusing their
monopoly).

So the question boils down to:  Are they owners of .com, or merely caretakers?