Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your Misspelling Are Belong To Us]

2003-09-16 13:46:19

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

    > But what exactly is the "screw" here?

    Verisign was (as far as I knew) given *stewardship* of the .com and
    .net zones as a public trust.  I don't see anywhere they were given
    the right to use their stewardship to try to make money selling typo
    eyeballs.  (And note that unless you do something *really* ugly like
    round-robin the wildcards, only one organization can do this per TLD
    - so they're essentially abusing their monopoly).

    So the question boils down to: Are they owners of .com, or merely
    caretakers?

An excellent question!  But that is a discussion that belongs with
ICANN, not the IETF.

Jim