Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your Misspelling Are Belong To Us]

2003-09-16 21:10:06
interesting point.  if we created a new gTLD and announced that it would be
wildcarded from day one, it wouldn't be used in the same way as the other
gTLDs.

then again, do we really want different ways of reporting errors for
different zones in the DNS?  would apps then want to special-case
certain zones to interpret their results differently than the others?

Keith

when people started beating on my phone ringer about wildcards yesterday
evening, and screaming for patches to bind to somehow make it all better,
i asked "but other tld's do this, what's the big deal?"  as near as i can
figure it, the problem is one of expectation.  if someone signs up for .nu
they know there'll be a wildcard there before they sign, and they can take
appropriate precautions (like only using it for web or e-mail, and not
naming hosts under that tld).  the expectations for .com and .net to not
have wildcards were all set many years ago, and it's the violation of those
expectations that's got people angry enough to publish patchware about it.