Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your Misspelling Are Belong To Us]

2003-09-18 09:43:46
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:22:15 -0700
Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman(_at_)imc(_dot_)org> wrote:

At 2:14 PM +0200 9/18/03, Francis Dupont wrote:
=> IMHO it should reject SMTP connection from the beginning with
the 521 greeting described in RFC 1846...

People are unhappy about VeriSign breaking the rules. But here you
are proposing that they follow an *experimental* RFC whose rules were
not accepted into the later revision of SMTP in RFC 2821. How will
them breaking the rules twice make it better?

it's sort of missing the point anyway.  mail and web aren't the only apps
affected by this.  this breaks anything that assumes (quite reasonably)
that query to a a nonexistent domain will return NXDOMAIN.

this does point out something about our standards - they're written assuming
that people want to interoperate and that they're acting in good faith.
while they might try to prohibit harmful behavior that might occur by
accident, they weren't written to dictate the actions of potentially hostile
parties (and I do regard VeriSign as hostile)