RE: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

2003-09-19 21:23:47
I have to agree, I don't think Verisign did anything "Wrong".

I have often drawn a line between corporate behavior that is immoral,
and that behavior that is illegal.  There is a huge difference between
them.

Verisign has not broken any laws, therefor what they did isn't "Wrong"
(if someone can point to a law that Verisign is in the juristiction of
that adding a wildcard domain in .com/.net please inform me of the
statute and I will say I am incorrect)

Now we can talk about immoral behavior of adding the wildcard.  I don't
like it, I think they should remove it - however it is not illegal.  Go
figure

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Dean
Anderson
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 8:45 AM
To: Keith Moore
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Keith Moore wrote:

Your mail client was making a false assumption. That is a bug in the

software.  The mail client shouldn't be looking up domains. It
should be sending it to the relay.

No, you're making an incorrect assumption.  It's perfectly valid for a

mail client to send mail directly to the MX for the recipient domain
(or A record if there is no MX)  That's how mail was intended to work,

having a local relay is just a popular optimization.  So it's
perfectly valid for a mail client to look up domain names, and it's
perfectly valid for a mail client to assume that NXDOMAIN means that
the domain does not exist.  again, that is how the mail protocol is
defined to work.

No, its not valid for a mail client to make direct connections. There
are many ISPs that block this. Are they doing something wrong?  Mail
clients are supposed to connect to their configured mail relays, which
has the responsibility to route mail.

Your attempt to reinterpret the mail specs in order to apologize for
VeriSign's fraud and unfair business practice is not in the least bit
persuasive.

What is not persuasive is the attempts to claim they did anything wrong.

                --Dean