Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

2003-09-22 17:55:40
On Monday 22 September 2003 19:04, Dean Anderson wrote:
As was pointed out, some servers will give up right away.  In either
case, the user should get a bounce, and can follow the instructions as
to whether the delivery will be retried or not.

No. On once case your get a "no such host" error and never send the
email in the first place and the other case gets a bounce. Not the same
thing.

You don't seem to understand how mail works. In both cases you get a
bounce. In neither case is a message sent.

Hmmm, again not totally true.  In the first case (pre-Versign) the mail
"client" (user end of the equation - at least on all my servers) would get an
"invalid address" type error (whatever Microsoft dreams up) and hence the
message would never "leave" their machine.  In the second case
(post-Verisign) the message is accepted by my server (since it cannot tell at
that stage) and it (my server) will then try to deliver.  Depending upon the
error code, the server might bounce immediately, or it might try for "x"
amount of time before it bounces.

  Significant difference between the email never leaving the client/customer
machine and going to a "host" server and then being bounced....

--
Larry Smith
SysAd ECSIS.NET