Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

2003-09-22 17:32:20

As was pointed out, some servers will give up right away.  In either case,
the user should get a bounce, and can follow the instructions as to
whether the delivery will be retried or not.

No. On once case your get a "no such host" error and never send the
email in the first place and the other case gets a bounce. Not the same
thing.

You don't seem to understand how mail works. In both cases you get a
bounce. In neither case is a message sent.

I manage a site that sends mortgage documents. It NEEDS to be sure that
the destination is valid before sending confidential information.

This isn't broken.  You won't send any messages because you won't get to
the "data" command. You will get an SMTP error code. The message is never
delivered to Verisign.

Those claiming otherwise are simply lying, and using fear mongering
techniques, as you are below.

So the first time a new e-mail address is allowed to send the very
sensitive information to a new email address it looks up the host and
submits the initial message itself.  So unless I want to parse every
possible error text the bogus verisign SMTP server may say, I had to
hack the code so that it knows that the IP address provided by Verisign
means no such host and never sends the confidential information to a
site that may be using the information in a way that is in conflict with
the senders confidentially requirements.

Same with health / HIPPA issues. Saying I'll take your email and bounce
it back is not the same as saying "hey bozo, you are trying to send to a
bogus host name".

The email may be encrypted, however that is not sufficient for some usage's.

--

 Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
                                |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                We Do Standards - You Need Standards