RE: Appeal to the IAB on the site-local issue

2003-10-14 09:07:08
Scott,

I agree with your caution about "removal" 100% and that it requires a
much stronger consenus and test to execute removal, and do not want it
done in anyway but from a serious analysis of those consequences. I also
agree the issue has nothing to do with which side of the fence one sits
on the issue.  It is a process issue and removal is a very serious
decision.

But I read all the discussions that lead up to the March 2003 meeting,
and was in that March 2003 meeting. It was one of the strongest
consensus moments I have seen that happened that day in that room in
that working group and was IMO over 3/4 of the attendees.  And then the
follow up email to the meeting did not overturn that consenus or the
view of the Chairs, ADs, and no one jumped over the fence, who supported
the decision to my knowledge.

Hence, I agree with the bar you articulate for this case, but I for one
truly believe the IETF process was met to proceed with the
recommendation of the Chairs on this issue and is supported by strong
cosensus of the IETF direct participants.

Also the draft below URL provides a good initial discussion and
framework of the issue and also a means to reduce any pain caused by
this removal.  It is not my endorsement of the draft at this time as a
qualification.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-site-local
-01.txt

Other questions not related to this specific issue you articulated so
well are as follows for the future as input to you who knows far more
about this than I and I realize that completely:

1.  Why did the WG agree to this consensus?  An important question?  I
will not comment on this in public.

2.  Did the implementors who agreed understand the ramifications to code
base and were they participants?  The answer is yes.

3.  Were the needs of the market considered in the decision?  I don't
think by all but do we ever use this bar?  As I said to you once when
you were on the IESG consistency is imperative.  The market is
reprsented by our participants.  If participants are not here to support
the IETF they do not get heard.  We have no way to trust one or a few to
represent an entire market other than present their individual view.
That may or may not influence the WG, it depends on the respect the
individual has with their peers I guess?

I will stop there.

Thanks for doing this and documenting the importance of "removal"
publicly it is a very important understanding we must know well before
we ever do removals.  I do "feel" we had consenus as a note.
/jim

"if it looks good, you'll see it;
if it sounds good, you'll hear it,
if it's marketed right, you'll buy it;