Re: rfc1918 impact

2003-10-15 19:33:51
Remember that Reverse lookups are optional. Many people who start of
saying "if reverse dns is configured correctly..." don't seem to
understand that reverse DNS is also properly configured when it is turned
off.

The abuse, and the numerous security vulnerabilities which have been
introduced by the improper use, as well as the difficulties in IPv6 (both
technical and administrative) has prompted discussion on both DNS working
groups to consider removing Reverse DNS altogether.  As it stands, Reverse
DNS is probably not going to be working or widely used in IPV6, which has
an alternate ICMP host information query so that reverse DNS is not
necessary for the most useful purpose of reverse DNS: traceroute.

The good news is that all this nonsense ends with IPv6.

                --Dean