Re: Re[2]: IPv6 addressing limitations (was "national security")

2003-12-03 17:32:35
On 3-dec-03, at 21:21, Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:

It was well understood that it was important to keep most of the IPv6
address space open to allow for future use.

If it were well understood, nobody would have ever been foolish enough
to suggest blowing 2^125 addresses right up front.  I've already
explained the folly of this in a previous post.

You seem to assume that being frugal with address space would make it possible to use addresess that are much smaller than 128 bits. This might have been the case if efficiency in address allocation were the only issue we'd have to deal with. However, stateless autoconfiguration is an important feature, and it eats up a significant amount of address space because the interface identifier must be reasonably unique. But more important are routing limitations. We need to keep the size of the global routing table in check, which means "wasting" a good deal of address space. Even in IPv4, where addresses are considered at least somewhat scarce, a significant part of all possible addresses is lost because of this.

If we want to keep stateless autoconfig and be modestly future-proof we need at least a little over 80 bits. 96 would have been a good number, but I have no idea what the tradeoffs are in using a broken power of two. If we assume at least 96 bits are necessary, IPv6 only wastes 2 x 32 bits = 8 bytes per packet, or about 0,5% of a maximum size packet. Not a huge deal. And there's always header compression.