RE: ITU takes over?

2003-12-12 10:10:59
At 8:39 AM -0800 12/12/03, Tony Hain wrote:
vinton g. cerf wrote:
 Unfortunately, the discussion has tended to center on ICANN as the only
 really visible example of an organization attempting to develop policy
 (which is being treated as synonymous with "governance"

To further your point, an area completely outside of ICANN's purview, yet an
area requiring governance is PKI. We are at the point where deployment of a
PKI has moved beyond technical issues, becoming almost completely the policy
& politics of "trust". Until the politicians broker the trust relationships,
there is nothing technology can do.

s/politicians/politicians and business community/

Absolutely agree with this sentiment. Anyone who starts an anti-spam proposal with "All we need to do is digitally sign the {messages|SMTP transmissions}..." is completely unclear on how little governance there is in this area.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium