RE: ITU takes over?

2003-12-12 12:13:02
Paul Hoffman wrote:
At 8:39 AM -0800 12/12/03, Tony Hain wrote:
vinton g. cerf wrote:
 Unfortunately, the discussion has tended to center on ICANN as the
only
 really visible example of an organization attempting to develop policy
 (which is being treated as synonymous with "governance"

To further your point, an area completely outside of ICANN's purview, yet
an
area requiring governance is PKI. We are at the point where deployment of
PKI has moved beyond technical issues, becoming almost completely the
policy
& politics of "trust". Until the politicians broker the trust
relationships,
there is nothing technology can do.

s/politicians/politicians and business community/

Absolutely agree with this sentiment. Anyone who starts an anti-spam
proposal with "All we need to do is digitally sign the {messages|SMTP
transmissions}..." is completely unclear on how little governance
there is in this area.

From a strictly mail technology standpoint, all we should ever do is enforce
signatures. Anything else is simply recreating technology we already have.
From the solution to spam standpoint, I agree the governance of trust plays
a much bigger role and will be the gating item in whatever technical
approach happens.

Tony

FWIW: I specifically left out the business community because they always
find a way to make money in whatever context the politicians create (even if
it takes influencing the politicians to create a favorable context).