Re: PKIs and trust

2003-12-15 08:12:27

Keith,

I've authored several papers that capture what I see as the essence of your characterizations, in a simple form. The central notion is that most of these relationships are NOT about trust, but rather about authority. if one views them in this fashion, then it becomes apparent that the entities that are authoritative for identification and authorization assertions should be CAs, and we, as individuals with many distinct identities, should expect to hold many certs, each corresponding to one identity. This is what happens in the physical world with most physical credentials: passports, frequent traveller cards, etc.

Steve