Re: PKIs and trust

2003-12-15 12:26:06
Al Arsenault;

Having worked in the "PKI" field for a loooonnnnggg time now,

Where can I find an authoritative reference on what "PKI", by
your definition, means?

        - unfortunately, many people when hearing the phrase "public key
infrastructure" thinks that that is what is meant/required, even though most
of us working in the field know that it's not required.

That's a fair statement, if you can clarify what, then, are required.

(From personal experience, my belief is that the single biggest failure of
PKI is the over-hyping and under-delivering of the technology.  People were
led to believe that once they had a PKI, their problems were solved.  That's
not the case. I used to hate working with people who had bought a PKI from
somebody, not understanding that all they really needed then were the
applications that let used the PKI/certificate stuff to do business they way
they wanted to do it.  The only thing worse was when I worked for a PKI
company, and had to work with a customer to whom our sales-critters had just
made a sale.  To start a conversation with "Joe didn't tell you you still
need..." wasn't fun.)

It seems to me that you think PKI not only exists but also
can be purchased.

So, where can I find your definition of "PKI"?

URLs please.

                                                        Masataka Ohta