Re: Propose some information retrieval protocols for Internet

2003-12-26 09:24:07
wang liang wrote:

Propose some information retrieval protocols for Internet.

<snip>

Wang,

I think your ideas are interesting. I also think they would work. However, I'd like to make some suggestions to improve them. Firstly though, I'd like to offer my services as an Englishman to help tidy up the English in your papers. I got the point, but the grammar could do with "a tidy up" just to make it clearer in places. If you send me the sources (as opposed to the PDF), I will be happy to get them into a form that the majority of the IETF readership would be happier to work with. It's not a criticism, and I can assure you, hand-on-heart, your English is much, much better than my Chinese! :-)

I'd also like to discuss with you via e-mail some details around the specific implementations. I think what you have proposed can work quite nicely, but it can be improved by moving the emphasis for indexing from the owners of domains and address spaces to the owners of the content. Unfortunately what you are suggesting seems to suggest that indexing available at national and international scopes COULD be owned at a state level (the ccTLD owner at any rate) regardless of the content owner's wishes. We can tweak the spec and the technology to put ownership back where it belongs, but it needs some thought.

Let me know if you would like to discuss this further. With your permission I would also like, after being able to tidy up your paper's English translation, to forward it to some people I know who have studied and research information theory and see if they have any input.

I look forward to your response,

--
Paul Robinson