Re: Propose some information retrieval protocols for Internet

2003-12-27 03:17:08
Paul Robinson,

We can tweak the spec and the technology to put ownership back
where it belongs, but it needs some thought.

Related papers in word format were sent to you.

In fact, our system can be regarded as an information shared platform. To
integrated different kinds of information resources, DRIS provides two
methods.

1 distributed search interface. Corresponding protocol defines a
platform-independent search interface and a collection description standard
for heterogeneous information resources. An I-D "information retrieval
protocol for digital resources" has been proposed.

2 metadata harvesting. It will define a standard metadata format that can be
compatible with most database system. A protocol based some available
opening standard like OAI will be proposed.

As long as data source can provide the standard distributed search interface
or comply with the metadata harvest format, they can all be brought into
DRIS.

But the web page is a special data source for its distributed character and
large amount. To efficiently integrate web pages on Internet, DRIS will
build a public opening web pages database, which will strictly comply with
the principle of (organization level-conventional database system)-(sub
country Internet level-metadata harvest system)-(country level-distributed
system). All the work is carried out automatically. Like in the bottom
level, we always don't wish to publish all our pages out of school network.
Although all the pages is automatically downloaded and indexed by our DRIS
server, we can limit the metadata of web pages sent to higher layer to
ensure some special considerations.

Other kinds of resources can select appropriate method and be imported in
appropriate layer.