Re: Propose some information retrieval protocols for Internet

2004-01-01 11:56:43
On 31-dec-03, at 17:47, Scott W Brim wrote:

I'd like to see more semantic
information in search engines. Eventually, this would allow queries
like "which actors played in movies after books written by authors born
in Chili in 1961?"

Is SCORM useful to you?  http://www.adlnet.org

As far as I can tell from the information presented at this location: not really, although there could be significant synergy. The difference is that computer aided learning is still based on content developed by humans, while intelligent searching should be handled completely automatically to be useful. On the other hand, the content to be searched must be tagged appropriately first so the search engines know whether "bgp" means "border gateway protocol" or "borders group inc" so maybe the difference isn't all that huge.

I don't think AI is the (full) solution here, as some ambiguities are simply not resolvable from the source information, even by reasonably informed humans. For instance, there are seven people with the name "robert rodriguez" in the movie industry alone.