Re: SMTP Minimum Retry Period - Proposal To Modify Mx

2004-01-12 11:33:12
Hi -

From: "Vernon Schryver" <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: SMTP Minimum Retry Period - Proposal To Modify Mx
Several times?  As far as I know, most people I know have never been
collateral or other kinds of blacklist damage.

In the past, both the IETF disman and agentx mailing lists were adversely
affected because the domain in which they were then hosted was blacklisted.
It would not surprise me if other IETF mailing lists have had similar problems.
Outside the IETF, I've seen similar problems for mailing lists for INCITS
and ISO groups.  Depending on the list software in use and how the hosts
using the blacklists are configured, the working group members, and even
the mailing list administrator, may be completely unaware that some group
members are not getting all (or any) posts unless they compare what
they've received with the mailing list archive.

A particularly nasty kind of damage occurs when web forms use email
confirmation.  Last year I had some grief because a national railway
company in Europe was using a service that blacklisted mindspring.com.
I couldn't complete the transaction until I confirmed my email address,
but I couldn't confirm my email address because they had blocked the
domain.

Randy