Re: SMTP Minimum Retry Period - Proposal To Modify Mx

2004-01-13 09:53:14
At 06:50 PM 1/12/2004, Vernon Schryver wrote...
Instead of paying the extra cost to hire an ISP that cares
enough to not have spamming customers, people complain about the evils
of blacklists.

Feh. Once again with the incorrect assumptions. I don't spam. I would
preferentially route email direct for two main reasons: 1) privacy - routing
via my ISP's outbound SMTP gives them the right to intercept and read my email,
according the ECPA; 2) control - sending from my own system allows me to
control retry attempts and times, instead of being forced to wait 4 days for my
ISP to bounce an undelivered back to me, assuming they don't just silently lose
it.

I can't do so because my IP address is on a blacklist. I have cable modem, but
the world thinks I'm a dial-up. For that reason alone, having nothing
whatsoever to do with spam, I'm forced to give up privacy and control of my
communications.

"Anti-spam" initiatives that are based on such blacklists are quite simply the
failed results of irrational, fascist thought. Regardless of your exact
definition of spam, all reasonable ones I've heard have one thing in common -
it's based on CONTENT, not IP address. Blacklists couldn't care less about
content - legitimate email or spam, out it goes, to the detriment of
communications.

They also, quite clearly, don't work to eliminate spam.