RE: Death of the Internet - details at 11

2004-01-13 10:37:03
Hayriye Altunbasak wrote:
Should not you first investigate the reason why
IPv6 is not successful in terms of deployment
(yet)? So that, we won't make the same mistakes
if the world decides to sth else....

These reasons are well-known and two-fold:

1. It's an investment without any foreseeable ROI:
- Scarcity of IPv4 addresses? Not any time soon and certainly not soon
enough to justify any investment within the next n years.
- Ease of renumbering? A myth.
- Auto-configuration? Not fundamentally a breakthrough over DHCP.
In other words: what is IPv6 going to buy me or my business in the next
n years? Nothing I don't already have with IPv4; why should I invest in
it (especially given the tight finances these days) ?

2. It does not even provide what IPv4 does:
- No multihoming.
- No PA addresses.
- Ni private addresses.

Michel.