Re: The IETF Mission [Re: Summary status of change efforts - Updated Web page]

2004-01-18 00:03:12
Hi,

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Fred Baker wrote:
At 04:26 AM 1/17/2004, Pekka Savola wrote:
"The purpose of the IETF is to create high quality, relevant, and
timely standards for the Internet."

I think I would state it in these words:

    "The Internet Engineering Task Force provides a forum for the
    discussion and development of white papers and specifications
    for the engineering issues of the Internet."
[...]

I pretty much agree with all you're stating -- thanks for spelling it
out.

The posting of questions, problems, and ideas
is perhaps *the* key part; standards are from my perspective only one of
the products, and perhaps a byproduct.

Right on.  This is the core of relevant, high-quality work I think.
You could capture of some of those issues in the standards themselves,
if you really wanted, but a longer and more in-depth discussion seems
to belong in some other form of documents.