Re: The IETF Mission

2004-01-30 14:20:45
At 11:07 PM 1/29/2004, jfcm wrote:
This puts free softwares and new generation networks out of its scope. They are Research from what I understand. Why not?

I don't think the IETF tells people how to charge; the software can be free or not. I don't think the IETF cares, and I don't know that being free makes it research.

As to next generation networks, I have a little rant on the topic. There are two terms that go around that drive me nuts:
   "Next Generation Network"
      Marketing term: it means "the network or networking technology I
      would like to sell you"
   "Legacy technology"
      Marketing term: it means "the technology you already have that I
      would like to replace with my Next Generation Network"

An example of this usage showed up recently on the manet list: I was proposing adding manet capabilities to OSPF, so that manet networks could easily be part of a larger network that contained more traditional regions as well. The respondent asked whether I had considered building a manet-only protocol, since the wired networks were legacy networks destined for the dustbin and wireless is the only thing that will be present in the future. My word... If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you...

Market-babble doesn't belong in the IETF. But the solid engineering that the market-droids babble about most certainly does.