Re: The IETF Mission [Re: Summary status of change efforts - Updated Web page]

2004-01-29 10:59:56

I'd like to come back to this point, and try a slightly different
direction:

Fred Baker wrote:
"The purpose of the IETF is to create high quality, relevant, and
timely standards for the Internet."

I think I would state it in these words:

    "The Internet Engineering Task Force provides a forum for the
    discussion and development of white papers and specifications
    for the engineering issues of the Internet."

This seems like a reasonable characterization of the output of
the IETF. However, it doesn't seem to capture some of the scoping/delimiting that the original text did -- does the IETF discuss any and all
such issues?  Is it trying to achieve anything in particular
by documenting things?  (How) can we detect that there are issues
we should be discussing and can't?

(How) would you add to your text to provide some boundaries/
guiding lines?

Leslie.

"Reality:
     Yours to discover."