Alternatives to RADB

2004-01-30 17:44:58
On a purely operational note, and ignoring (having not read) the other aspects of this thread:

On 30 Jan 2004, at 18:01, Dean Anderson wrote:

It seems to me that denying my participation in the RADB may be a
violation of IETF/ISOC/ICANN rules.

Merit operates the RADB, which is one of many loosely-associated public databases known as the Internet Routing Registry (IRR), each modelled (sometimes slightly loosely, with respect to local extensions) on RFC2622, "Routing Policy Specification Language (RPSL)". The RADB is a for-fee service run by Merit of their own volition.

An example list of alternative, independently-operated databases within this vague "IRR" umbrella can be found by looking through the mirrored databases at:

  ftp://ftp.merit.edu/radb/dbase/

Each of those comes from a different database. All the databases are, in general, run independently.

There is nothing magical and special about the RADB in the context of the operation of the IRR, and if Merit does not want you as a customer there are plenty of other suppliers you can talk to. Perhaps start here: <http://www.altdb.net/>.

Joe