Re: Please note this update: IETF mission statement

2004-05-03 09:39:13
Nothing like jumping in late and editing the first sentence, but here
goes:

The goal of the IETF is to make the Internet work better.

This is phrased a bit awkwardly, and implies that the Internet isn't
working all that well now. What about:

  "The goal of the IETF is to ensure that the Internet continues to
   work effectively."

And a few paragraphs later, to tighten it up a bit:

   Open process - that any interested participant can in fact
                    ^^^^                                ^^^^^^^
                    omit                                omit

      participate in the work, know what is being decided, and make his
      or her voice heard on the issue. Part of this principle is our
      commitment to making our documents, our WG mailing lists, our
      attendance lists and our meeting minutes publicly available on the
      Net.

   Technical competence - that the issues on which the IETF produces its
                            ^^^^
                            omit

      documents are issues where the IETF has the competence needed to
      speak to them, and that the IETF is willing to listen to
      technically competent input from any source.
      Technical competence also means that we expect IETF output to be
      designed to sound network engineering principles - this is also
      often referred to as "engineering quality".

   Volunteer Core - that our participants and our leadership are people
                      ^^^^
                      omit

      who come to the IETF because they want to work for the IETF's
      purposes.

   Rough consensus and running code - We make standards based on the
      combined engineering judgement of our participants and our
      real-world experience in implementing and deploying our
      specifications.

   Protocol ownership - that when the IETF takes ownership of a protocol
                          ^^^^
                          omit

      or function, it accepts the responsibility for all aspects of the
      protocol, even though some aspects may rarely or never be seen on
      the Internet. Conversely, that when the IETF is not responsible
                                  ^^^^
                                  omit

      for a protocol or function, it does not attempt to exert control
      over it, even though it may at times touch or affect the Internet.