Re: Please note this update: IETF mission statement

2004-05-03 11:26:44

--On 3. mai 2004 12:13 -0400 Susan Harris <srh(_at_)merit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

Nothing like jumping in late and editing the first sentence, but here
goes:

The goal of the IETF is to make the Internet work better.

This is phrased a bit awkwardly, and implies that the Internet isn't
working all that well now. What about:

  "The goal of the IETF is to ensure that the Internet continues to
   work effectively."

actually the previous version had "The goal of the IETF is to make the Internet work" - I was chastised for lack of ambition on the IETF's behalf!

I actually think the Internet works quite well, in many aspects, but there's lots of room for improvement - or there would be no spam in my mailbox, and I would know by the touch of a button whether or not I could set up a video call to you to discuss these matters.....

but I like being ambitious enough to expect the IETF to help it improve!