Re: What exactly is an internet (service) provider?

2004-06-22 10:26:05
You missed the point. This is not about complaining that I don't get
enough for the money. This is that I don't know in advance what
I do get for my money.

So far, I had no trouble getting the facts beforehand.  If you can't
reach anyone at that ISP for comment, you don't want to become its
customer anyway because nobody will help you in case of errors.

"Nobody forces you to buy them" is true only as long as I do
know what exactly they offer and as it is my decision to buy
it or not. But if I buy "Internet" and don't see what I'm
buying, then I don't have the choice.

The choice exists.  Of course, you need to know how to make that
choice.  Just reading some web pages (particularly those which confirm
your prejudices) won't help you, though.

- Some providers intentionally cut their customers
  off after 24 hours in order to force them to have
  a new IP address.

Which one?

- It is a real problem to get native IPv6 over DSL
  in Germany.

It isn't.  Just be repeating it over and over again doesn't make it
true.  If you can't find an ISP which uses ZISP or ISPgate to deliver
IPv6, it's your fault.  There are some of them.

  Some providers simply don't want to provide IPv6, because they say
  "Internet" is IPv4.

This is certainly a reasonable approach at the moment.

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: bigpond.com, di-ve.com, fuorissimo.com, hotmail.com,