Re: IETF60: time needed for check-in at San Diego?

2004-07-21 12:15:14
Is not only check-in time ...

My last very unfortunate experience was traveling back to Madrid from Las
Vegas, in January.

The check-in was about 2 hours queue, and then it took to me almost 4 hours
(standing up, an infinite zig-zag of people filling all the airport) to pass
the security check.

Consequently me, and most of the people in the airport miss their flights, and
the travel companies rejected to allocate a new flight. They said claim for the
cost to the US government.

I was booked for the following day flight (only option available to catch my
next meeting in time, flying directly to Brussels instead of via Madrid), extra
hotel expenses pay by myself also. Again same answer, claim to the US
government.

By the way, the most curious thing is that despite the international air
security regulations regarding the baggage can't travel alone, the planes
take-off with the baggage ... and of course, you only get it 2-3 days after
arriving to destination. No compensation either. Claim to the US government.
They can break all the rules, even the security rules, just because improper
security handling.

One moth ago, flying back from Santa Monica it was only 3 hours total time, but
you never know ...

What is clear is that the US government should consider this type of events and
provide facilities. Otherwise, the IETF, IEEE and other organizations, should
consider very seriously skipping event in US.

Clearly it seems that this is irrelevant (in general) to US people, they don't
mind what they government do, good or bad, but negative for the rest of the
world. So the rest of the world should also consider offering the same pain and
wait time to the US nationals ? I'm not asking for it, but the question is an
exercise for US nationals to understand our situation, and consider taking some
actions.

Hopefully we don't have this +4 hours situation anymore.

Regards,
Jordi