Re: Friday @ IETF61?

2004-09-02 04:03:42
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:36:39 +0300 "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)"
<dromasca(_at_)avaya(_dot_)com> wrote:

I do not believe that this is achievable. With the majority of other standards
organizations meetings and industry events building their schedules on a week
basis, avoiding major conflicts in the participants calendars would become an
even more challenging task, close to mission impossible.

I do not believe this is true.

In fact, if no other body is using weekends, it only increases the chance that
IETF can squeeze into schedules, because it can exploit dead time the other
meetings cannot.

I suspect most attendees do not share this exposure either. But almost ALL
non-US resident attendees have borne this non-financial, social cost since
the inception of a week-long, working-week model.

-George

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On
Behalf Of George Michaelson
Sent: 02 September, 2004 1:05 PM
To: jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net
Cc: Harald Tveit Alvestrand; Tim Chown; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Friday @ IETF61?

I call again for meetings run over the weekend. midweek to midweek.

1) cheaper hotel rates for attendees. weekends are cheaper.

2) less congestion in airports for flights.

3) for Europe and Asia, attendance in the USA becomes a loss
of two weekends
   (one either side) and for the Americans, NO weekend. This
would be fairer
   for everyone, and mean we had a cheaper, more productive time.

-George

George Michaelson       |  APNIC                 |  See you at APNIC 18
Email: ggm(_at_)apnic(_dot_)net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton    |  Nadi, Fiji
Phone: +61 7 3858 3150  |  QLD 4064 Australia    |  31 Aug -3 Sep 2004
  Fax: +61 7 3858 3199  |  http://www.apnic.net  |  www.apnic.net/meetings/18