Re: What to incorporate (Re: Options for IETF administrative restructuring)

2004-09-02 04:38:23

Harald sed:
   scenarios C and D envision incorporating the *support function* for the
   IETF. The IETF would remain an undefined entity under these scenarios.

   I've had another suggestion that the IETF (the real technical process
   entity) should become a formally recognizable entity of some sort (possibly
   an unincorporated organization). But that's distinct from the idea of
   incorporating the support function, and is NOT described in the current
   document.

imho both C & D would be seen by most or the world as incorporating
*the IETF*  - if there is confusion within the IETF over the
difference between incorporating the *support function* and
incorporating the whole IETF the difference would be totally lost
by non-IETFers (and most IETFers is my guess) - in any case, the
target of any legal attack on the IETF would be the corporation with
IETF in the name if one existed - about the only way I could see that
there woudl not be confusion wiuld be to call the corporation "The
Corporation to Support Internet Standardization" (TCTSIS or TCSIC) and
not have the IETF name in it.

Scott