Re: admin director (was The other parts of the report..)

2004-09-15 03:59:51

--On tirsdag, september 14, 2004 16:14:42 +0300 "Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki)" <jonne(_dot_)soininen(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hello everybody,

I think before proceeding with hiring a person we should have a bit more
discussion on the responsibilities and tasks for the admin director. I
think Carl's proposal is a good first cut on these. However, it is just
that.

On the actual proposal, I was wondering if the current job description,
which seems to be more of a draft announcement, is basically bit too
concentrated on the meeting part responsibilities. I think we also have
things like IETF tools etc. of which the admin director should be
somewhat responsible.

Appendix E is a draft call for applications, of which half is the job description, so it's no surprise it reads like a draft announcement :-)

The job description is:

You will be expected to:
  o  Serve as the day-to-day chief operating officer of the IETF,
     managing a number of contractors and working with a number of
     volunteers.
  o  Provide primary support for budgeting and financial reporting
     processes.
  o  Serve as the primary staff resource for the governing body of the
     administrative entity for the IETF.
  o  Work with your contractors and members of the IETF community to
     provide adequate support and planning for 3 IETF meetings
     annually, and for frequent meetings and teleconferences of the
     IAB, IESG, and other bodies that support the IETF.
  o  Work with our liaison organizations, such as the RFC Editor and
     the IANA.
  o  Coordinate the standards-making support process, in particular the
     periodic meetings of the IESG.

Only one of these bullets (the fourth) touches on the meeting stuff. I don't think it is possible to say less than that.

I have some other specific comments:

- I don't believe the RFC Editor and IANA are liaison organizations. ICANN is a liaison organization, but the IETF IANA function is work done under an MoU, and the RFC-Editor is doing work under contract.
I'd rephrase this as:
"Work with the organizations responsible for RFC publication and parameter registration, maintaining their contract relationship and coordination with the other functions of the IETF".

- I believe the "coordinate.... the periodic meetings of the IESG" is part of the work that should be done by the "clerk's office" under contract, so I don't believe that belongs in the job description as written either. I'd just stop the sentence after the comma.

But your mileage (and expectations of this person) may vary....