Re: IETF 62

2004-09-20 06:34:45
On Monday, September 20, 2004, at 08:16 AM, jamal wrote:
So Mineapolis (the mother of all IETF venues) is less bloodier to get
to? I am shocked. I would claim Ottawa is more accessible, colder,
cheaper and doesnt have wimpy tunnels - which makes it a perfect choice.

I think Minneapolis is a terrific venue - the facilities are great,
meals are easy, etc.  I've hosted a meeting in Ottawa, and while it's
also a terrific venue it's not that easy to find facilities that
can accommodate a meeting the size of the IETF.  Toronto or Montreal
would be a better bet in terms of meeting space.

I've been denied travel funds to a location that looked too much like
a holiday spot, so I'm not much of an advocate for basing location
decisions on whether or not I'd enjoy the locale - that can backfire.
We've all heard jokes about the European Travel and Sightseeing
Institute, right?

I used to be heavily involved with Usenix, which has a full-time
meeting coordinator whose job is specifically to find and arrange
meeting venues.  I checked their events page recently and they've
got locations for the annual conference pinned down through 2008.

Melinda