Re: [dnsop] Re: Root Anycast (fwd)

2004-09-29 23:45:43
jshen(_at_)christmas(_dot_)9966(_dot_)org ("Joe Shen") writes:

To my understanding, Per-Packet Load Balancing works only in situation
all DNS servers installed behind the same router, and it CAN NOT
guarantee sequencing of TCP packets.

yup.

The first problem of PPLB is , it could not be implemented for a server
farm which distributes across internet, and the only thing it does is
replacing traditional load balancer with router.

yup.

The third, ECMP in current DNS server farm guarantees both per-packet
load balancing in UDP traffic and per-flow distribution in TCP traffic.
Considering distributing DNS server across multiple AS, I think the
advange is obvious than PPLB.

yup.

ps.  where can I find detailed information on Root server GTLD server
configuration  ( hardware , software, and network infrastructure)?
        I just know they use anycast but how they choose system
platform?

i don't know what the gtld servers are doing.

but f-root's configuration is outlined at <http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/>,
read ISC-TN-2003-1 and ISC-TN-2004-1.  also <http://www.isc.org/ops/f-root/>.
--
Paul Vixie